March 3, 2009

why I love my Mac

Because when I turn it on - it works. Plain and simple. You can't put a price on peace of mind.

Before I started b-school, I asked people what kind of computer I should buy. Most everyone said: "Get a Thinkpad Tablet. They're solid, reliable, yada yada." So I listened and my boyfriend and I bought two Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet X61's. We spent a ton of money on all the fancy upgrades and what not. That year, Vista was released so our new fancy computers had the ^devil ^ OS installed on them. OMG I can't even begin to explain all the headaches that we went through with those Tablets. Within the first week, my bf's computer was back at Lenovo getting its internal battery replaced. My computer seemed to be working OK at first but I started having issues when I would run any kind of Office program. It would freeze a few times a day and I'd have to reboot. (Picture this: accounting HW spreadsheet - frozen on the screen - me, cursing and cursing at myself for not saving the latest version.) Consequently, MS Office was un-isntalled and re-installed three separate times. The devil OS was un-installed an re-installed a few times too. I was at Sloan tech support every other week but nothing worked. After about 5 months, I just lost it. I called Lenovo and asked what my options were. They said I'd have to send it into the plant (not just go through the Sloan tech support) at least three times before they would even consider giving me a new computer. Uh ok, like I'm gonna ship my computer away for weeks on end while I'm in school. Yeah right.

Anyways, the next day, my computer just died. Literally. A black screen popped up and the devil OS wouldn't even bootup. I called Lenovo and I talked to some guy from Atlanta. He had no idea what was wrong and told me to send it in to get it checked out - which I did. A few weeks (let me reiterate - WEEKS not days) later I get my computer back. Apparently, Lenovo had replaced all the insides and it was basically a brand new computer. During the time my computer was away, my boyfriend's computer started freezing and started to have the same symptoms as mine. So when I got my "computer with new insides" back, the first thing I did was post on Craigslist - "2 Lenovo Thinkpad X61's $1000 OBO." We sold both of them for a grand each and went out and bought new Macbook Pro's. Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.

Just thinking about it now makes me sick to my stomach. I have no idea what was wrong with them - Whatever it was - I don't care - They didn't work. I'm just glad they're out of my life. Right now, as I'm typing this post, I'm listening to music, downloading pics, running a bunch of other programs, and my Macbook is happily purring away. And I have no worries at all. That's why I love my Mac.

1 comments:

Lynette said...

I remember you having problems when I came to visit. That's the last thing I need - computer issues. I'm clueless when it comes to that.

Post a Comment