June 29, 2010

Celebrating two thousand one hundred and nintey days.


This past Saturday, Christopher and I celebrated our 6 year anniversary.  6 years.  I know – quite impressive huh.  And oh my how time flies.  You know I remind my Christopher everyday how I've given him the best of my years and how there's no turning back now --  we're locked, loaded and ready.

In celebration of this momentous occasion, I thought I'd take a stroll down memory lane.  Do you want to know how we first met?  Do you do you??  Well okay, I'll tell you. 

6/26/04
It was a Saturday night in San Francisco and Allison had invited MSTAG over to her place for a house party.  I went over early to Mayra and Geoffrey's apartment first to make Jell-O shots and to spike our watermelon with vodka (which did not work out very well).  And with our Jell-O and watermelon vodka balls in hand, we headed over to Alli’s for a night of debauchery and fun. 

After some mingling at the party, I noticed out of the corner of my eye, a very large white man (sticking out like a sore thumb) and I thought to myself, "Who invited that guy?"  And just as I was thinking this, I looked over to him and he was looking right back at me.  Staring, actually. Embarrassed (and a bit weirded out) I quickly looked away. A couple of minutes later, I could feel laser beam eyes pointed at me... and then I look up to see him staring yet AGAIN.  (Chris, to this day, denies this but it's true I tell you.  I do not lie - well I do but I'm not lying now.)  This went on for like the next 30 minutes or so and just when I was about to call it a night and head home, I see the big white guy walking towards me.  Oh great - he's going to try to talk to me.  Good thing Suzzy was standing next to me - she could be my escape!!  I started to sneak away and leave poor Suzz behind but it was too late -- I hear a booming voice, "So uh ... where are you from?"

T: "Uh .. from LA........... you?”
C: “I’m from Boston.”

Great – never been there, don’t know anyone from there and know nothing about the city.  We have so much to talk about.

Awkward silence.

More awkward silence.

C: “So …….. where did you go to school?”
T:  Really?  More questions??  “I went to Berkeley.  You?”

C: “I went to school in NY.”
T: “Where in NY?”
 C: “Upstate NY.”
T: “Where in upstate NY?”
C: “In Ithaca.”
T: “WHERE in Ithaca?”   You’re kidding me right? Just tell me the name of the school.
C: Cornell.

T: Oh.  Wait a minute now.  Cornell's a pretty good school.  Not as good as Cal but you know pretty decent.  You mean you're not a body builder/beef head/dummy?  Hmm, maybe I’ll talk to him just a little more.  
“Oh I’ve been to Cornell.  That’s where my friend Helen went to law school.  It’s so COLD there!”

And then we started talking about Ithaca.  And then about Boston and California and my family and his family and water skiing and also about how bad the spiked watermelon balls in the kitchen tasted.  Who brought those gross things anyway? And after about 2 hours of chatting, at the end of the night, the big tall white guy asks me (in a very formal tone might I add):
“I've really enjoyed our conversation tonight.  Would you mind giving me your phone number so that I can call you to take you out to dinner some time?”

And that my friends is how it all began. 

4 comments:

Mayra said...

Awww, cute! Brought a tear to my eye;) I also remember those nasty watermelon balls.

Cindy said...

Sniff Sniff , and to think you guys are now heading down the isle.
Y'all are such a great couple I'm so glad you stayed at that party a few minutes longer, the whole episode was bashert-which means "meant to be" in yiddish.

grace said...

that is tooooo cute. :) meanwhile i was sleeping in allison's room and got bit the eye by a very hungry mosquito (how the eff are there mosquitos in SF!!) and woke up to a swollen shut eye and alli telling me that ting was talking to some big hulking dude the whole night.

Allison said...

You're welcome! ;)

Post a Comment