June 4, 2010

My absolute favorite website: www.despair.com
and this is how i feel right now.
SO ....

Me and the wedding planning have not been seeing eye to eye lately.  Actually, you know what, it's been a really rocky run ever since we first started this relationship.  We've been fighting and making up and then fighting again ... and discussing and arguing and in the end for some reason, we just cannot seem to come to a compromise.  He's very stubborn you know.


It wasn't always like this.  When I first got engaged, we got along really well.  We talked about beautiful locations in San Diego or coastal LA and we even talked about Las Vegas ..  I know!  That would have been so much fun!  But when he started telling me about prices and deadlines and well, mostly just prices, I was flabbergasted, shocked, disgusted even.  "$60,000 you say??  That's craziness!!"  And so the fighting began.  And then one day, when I was at my wits' end, I decided to put a stop to all of it. "You know what," I told him, "I'm done with you.  No more of this wedding crap.  I'm over it."

...


But then a few months would go by and I would start to miss the wedding planning.  Every time I saw a bridal magazine at the supermarket or when a friend would ask me, "So ... how's that wedding planning going?" I'd miss him.  I really would.  And then slowly, we'd start up again.  Just like that.

Last week I stood my ground.  I told him, "We are doing destination.  And that's final.  Mexico to be exact.  So show me what you got."  And unknowingly (and somewhat stupidly) I opened up what seemed to be a whole new world of possibilities (and headache).  Because you know what .... there are a lot of cities in Mexico.  And there are a lot of destination spots.   And there are a lot of all-inclusive resorts.  And all of those resorts have a lot of reviews and a lot of photos and a lot of information to go through.  It's actually very very overwhelming.  And just when I thought I had found the perfect place, and I mean perfect - like Disney World, Shangri-La, The OC - kind of perfect, he would tell me, "Oh well, you know what ... it costs like $600 a night to stay here," or "It's only for adults."  (There are two little ones coming to the wedding.)  And so it went on like this for awhile.  I would research and email and physically exhaust myself in finding the perfect place and still nothing in the end.

And so today I told my Christopher that me and the wedding are officially over.  I'm done.  No more.  I mentally do not have anything else to give it.  I've put in all I can, and I've gotten nothing out of it - well a few measly spreadsheets and some emails with exorbitant hotel rates but that's about it.  I complained and whined and mumbled the entire way home.  It's like someone giving you a quarter and sending you off to Bloomingdale's to shop.  It's just impossible.  And I refuse, REFUSE, to spend tens of thousands of dollars on one day.  It's just not worth it in my head.

Anyhow, I told Christopher, "If you want to get married, you plan it because I AM SICK OF IT." I'm perfectly content with going to City Hall, having a party and moving on with my life. Because you know what, I have other things to worry about.  I really do.  Hmph.

Chris is at the kitchen table now.  Researching destination weddings in Mexico, I believe.  Stay tuned to see whether or not the Huang/Gaudet wedding will ever happen....

Suggestions anyone??

3 comments:

Mayra said...

Playa del Carmen.

Cindy said...

We had a woman from Kroll come speak to us at work, they specialize in kidnap and ransom insurance, she said Mexico was a particular hot spot when it comes to kidnapping american tourists... I say "Vegas Baby"...

UrbanDoggs said...

Ooh go to Mykonos :) How romantic. What about someplace in Hawaii? Maui or Kauai Actually it won't matter what anyone suggests. In the end it is up to you. These will be YOUR memories in the future

Post a Comment