September 14, 2010

::::A few thoughts:::: 

1)  Frame of Reference: The context, viewpoint, or set of presuppositions or of evaluative criteria within which a person's perception and thinking [occurs] ... -Fontana Dictionary of Modern Thought (2nd edn: 1988)
This past Sunday, I found myself in a dark place.  I won't go into details but let's just say there was lots of sulking going on, loads of self-pity, a bunch of "life's not fair!" (accompanied by feet stomping) and a few quiet sobs.  It was not a pretty sight.  Not sure how it all came about -- actually who am I kidding.  I know exactly how it came about.  Before I start my next sentence, I'd like to tell Excel that even though I love your logic and your computational abilities, I also hate you -- because of your logic and computational abilities.  Anyhow, I decided to lay out all of my finances and student debt in a handy dandy spreadsheet you know, so that I could put a concrete number to my miserableness.  One column for my assets and a big fat long column for my liabilities (oh my what a list).  Anyways, there it was, laid out all pretty in neat little grids, lots of red numbers with little hyphens in front of them.  Let's just say it was all downhill from there.  Pouting and spewing statements like, "Why me??  Why why me?"  Melodramatic I know.  That was pretty much all day Sunday, lingering into Monday and okay yeah a little bit today too.

Anyways, during lunch today I was driving out of the Costco parking lot and I saw a homeless man with a big fat smile on his face and he was holding a sign that said:
"Be happy. 
It could always be worse. 
You could be me :)"  
Why hold on there homeless man.  You've got yourself a good point there.  So anyways, that just snapped everything right into place.  Who would've thunk --- words of wisdom from a homeless man to turn my frame of reference right around. 

2)  The stars have aligned and the universe is calling out to me, "Here's some freebies to tie you over.  Sorry I've been so mean to you lately."  Today Goldstar sent me an email telling me that tickets for Phantom are 50% off.  And tomorrow I work a half day from home which means I can make it to the new yoga studio down the street from my parents' house (where classes are only $11... $11!!  unheard of.)  AND I found this delightful class at the Urban Craft Center - October 13th Amigurumi (!!!)  A two-part class.  And Allison may join me.  I'm so excited.  I've always wanted to learn how to make adorable stuffed crocheted animals. It makes my granny squares look so blase.

3) I miss Poncho. 

2 comments:

Ivy said...

I hope that you at least gave the homeless man some cash...

Mayra said...

Haha, I like Ivy's comment.

Post a Comment