September 1, 2010

It's been a year already!


This morning when I woke up, Christopher gave me a big hug and kiss and said to me, "Happy Anniversary."  I quickly sorted through my brain fighting the sleep haze and thought, is it June 26?  No -- it's August.  Wait, no it's September.  And then after a few seconds Christopher said, (probably after looking at the confused look on my face), "It's been one year since I asked you to marry me."  And then I smiled and replied, "Wow it's been a year already?"  And then he sighed and said to me, "You're supposed to be the girl, not me.  You should be the one remembering these things."  And it's true -- I should!  But I'm just so bad with dates.  Really I am!  He always teases me because I, for the life of me, can never remember his phone number, birthdate, anniversaries ... you name it, and I bet I can't remember it.  It's horrible.  I make for a terrible girl.  But I tried to make it up to him and held his hand the entire way to work today.   That should make everything okay right?  

Anyhow, can you believe it's been one year already.  And now I'm thirty.  Thirty years old (!).  I hate saying that.  I really do.  I hate it with all that's in me.  But you know what, things are much better than they were a year ago.  Way better.  Because now I have a job.   And Christopher has a job too.  And now we live in Southern California where the weather is fabulous (in the "man it's so hot I think I'm gonna die" kind of way) 360 days a year and I love it.  And even though the weather has been not so fabulous this summer and even though we spend a twelfth (that's right: 1/12) of our day in the car driving to and from work, it could be worse.  Life can always be worse right?  Last weekend when I went to dinner with Helen and I was griping about being 30 and not having a house and not being married and not having kids and not being where I'm supposed to be when I envisioned being 30, Helen said to me, "Stop looking at the horizon and just focus on what's in front of you, focus on your next step." I thought that was pretty good advice, so I've decided that that is going to be my new motto.  I am going to try to take one step at a time and instead of obsessing over everything and anything, I'm just going to obsess over my next step.  And what is that next step you ask ...... why it just so happens to be WEDDING PLANNING!!!  Oh my, we're in for bumpy ride.

 A.N.Y.W.A.Y.S.
 *****************************

There's a blog I read every single day called the NieNie Dialogues.  It's written by a woman named Stephanie Nielson.  She has a husband, Mr. Nielson, and four beautiful children.  Two years ago, Stephanie was in a plane crash and was burned very badly.  Her husband was also in that plane and also was burned very badly (but not as badly as her).  The pilot died.  She blogs about her recovery, her children, her husband, her faith and about getting through everyday life. Sometimes her blog is sad and makes me want to cry because I feel so bad for her, but sometimes, actually most of the time, her blog is about all of the happy and wonderful things in her life.  The courage she shows every single day is so inspirational and it makes me appreciate everything around me.  Anyways, I think you should read her blog today.  It made me smile.  

1 comments:

Mayra said...

Happy Anniversary! And I started reading that blog and it made me cry...

Post a Comment