October 4, 2010

the end of the world. but only maybe.

I was looking at Costco's website today to see if they have a wedding registry (they don't) and this caught my eye:
$799.99 after $200 OFF
Shelf Reliance THRIVE
1-year supply Dehydrated and Freeze-dried Food

At first I thought it was one of those new diet fads.  But then I read on.

"THRIVE - Your premier source for food storage and emergency preparedness planning. Because nothing is more important than the health and safety of your family.  THRIVE comes with 84 #10 (gallon size) cans of fruit, grains, veggies, protein, beans, dairy and baking essentials.  It provides not only nutrition and variety but also peace of mind."

Why yes of course - peace of mind!  Because you know when you look into your kitchen pantry and see 84 gallon sized cans of dehydrated food color-coded by its contents, an overwhelming sense of calmness and serenity flows through your body. Well maybe if you stack it like how they do in this picture, then maybe, just maybe.

Not too long ago, I finished reading The Passage (J. Cronin) and The Road (C. McCarthy).  Both are about the end of the world, end of all human kind, end of life as we know it, and zombie/vampires -- well only The Passage is about zombie/vampires but there are monsters in The Road.  Anyhow I was thinking about how useful it would have been if the characters in these novels had purchased THRIVE ... then the plots and endings would have been wholly different. Well except in The Road because the characters would probably have been pillaged, pilfered, raped and then murdered for their food so maybe not. 

Anyways, that brings me to this point: Why on earth is Costco selling a year's worth of freeze-dried food?  Costco of all places.  Because it's the place you buy all your household essentials and this is something that you throw into your cart along with toilet paper and milk?  I'm beginning to think that this is some kind of commentary on our economic state or a foreshadowing of something bigger yet to come?  (Maybe Costco knows something that we don't know.)  What's even more worrisome is that Costco is, you know, like really big and has so much purchasing power that they don't just buy one off items that only crazy people want  -- they buy stuff that's going to sell to the masses

So after reading the product reviews and doing some research, I'm kinda sorta convinced now that I need this.  I mean, it's $200 off.  AND it has a shelf life of 25 years.  And well, Costco sells it, so it has to be kind of mainstream right?  So yes, I'm thinking it's an investment.  An investment in my future, my health, my safety and well, my peace of mind.

0 comments:

Post a Comment