November 10, 2010

Mrs. Christopher Huang.

 http://www.nataliedee.com/110210/
This past week I've been thinking about wedding invitations.  There's a lot involved when it comes to wedding invitations you know.  I thought it was just pick a color, pick a design and voila you're done!  But no no no no no.  Silly me, I must have been out of my mind.  If anything, in the last 6 months, I've learned this: When it comes to wedding planning, everything must be overly complicated, overly priced and well, overly confusing.  I mean, choosing a wedding invite can't be easy. It just can't be, because that would be well, just too easy. 

Did you know that prices per invite range from as low as $0.25 (just plain ugly) to upwards of $50 (as beautiful as heaven itself and comes with a small bar of gold and a bag of diamonds ..  not really but you know what I mean).  Anyhow, in addition to price, color and design you have to think about things like paper type (vellum, cotton, recycled anyone?) and paper weight (80 pound to 130 pound) and embellishments (pressed flowers, ribbons, trinkets, tiny sand dollars (??!!)).  So yes, this is where I'm at right now.  Somewhere in between a quarter and a fifty, 80 and 130, and ribbons or flowers.  Suggestions?

Sigh. I haven't even gotten to the point of my post yet! Me and my brain ... so easily sidetracked.  Try to focus. Anyways, I was reading about the "proper" way to address your inner and outer envelopes (FYI you put your Reception Card, Response Card, Response Envelope, Map/Direction Card, and Invitation inside the Inner Envelope layered in between with tissue paper and then put the Inner Envelope inside the Outer Envelope -- that's 3 envelopes folks.  Doesn't all this sound like crazy talk??)  Anyways, like I was saying ... there is a "proper" way to address your outer envelope.  For married couples, this is the correct way to address husband and wife:

Let's use Edward and Bella as an example and let's assume that Bella takes Edward's last name which she most likely did because Edward is very old fashioned you know.

Outer Envelope should read: Mr. and Mrs. Edward Cullen

Not: Mr. Edward and Mrs. Bella Cullen
And not: Mr. and Mrs. Edward and Bella Cullen

Doesn't that seem weird to you?  It's basically saying ... "Bella, because you are married to Edward, you are no longer a separate person.  From now on you're only known as Edward's wife and so we will call you Mrs. Edward." Craziness I tell you.  I mean, let's flip it around.  How would Edward feel if for the rest of his life (which is forever eternity by the way) he was to be called Mr. Bella Swan.  I don't think he would like that.  

Anyways, I'm not even sure why I care so much about this.  It's not like it's the first time I've ever seen it, but I guess I just always thought that it was a way of addressing husband and wife, not the way.  I mean come on now really? 

Well, anyhow I've decided not to participate in on this craziness.  Forget tradition, forget "proper" etiquette, I've decided that on my invitations, married or not, everyone gets their own name on the outer envelope.  Gasp!  I will however participate in on the craziness of 3 envelopes, paper weights, trinkets and ribbons.  Sigh.  I can't win them all. 


2 comments:

grace said...

but with chris's name you'll never be mistakenly referred to as mr. ping hunag!

Mayra said...

Have you looked at Etsy for invites?

Post a Comment